- Known for its peculiar scent, the durian is a giant-sized tropical fruit that’s originate from South-East Asia.
- If you have seen a jackfruit, the durian shares a similar appearance—only it’s much larger in size.
- Jackfruit commonly features in a variety of Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian dishes – both sweet and savory.
- By “peculiar” scent, what I really mean is “terrible”.
- There are many words to describe this smell, but perhaps the most people telling one is “smells like a gym sock.”
- the taste of jackfruit is pretty good – sweet, creamy, and kind of nutty.
- Durians have an interesting nutritional profile too.
- Interestingly , they are one of the only fruits to contain a decent amount of carbohydrate and fat.
- Per 100g, the durian supplies ;
Calories: 147 kcal
Fiber: 3.8 g
Fat: 5.3 g
Protein: 1.5 g
Vitamin C: 14% RDA
Vitamin B1: 6% RDA
Vitamin B6: 4% RDA
Manganese: 4% RDA
Potassium: 4% RDA